Built in 1833, The Town Hall was designed by Colonel Thomas Cowper. The entrance of the building is adorned with a Grecian portico and eight impressive Doric styled pillars. There is a flight of thirty steps leading to the entrance of the Town Hall. The entire construction was made of stones brought from England and was designed in a neo-classical fashion. The Town hall houses a Asiatic Society of Bombay (formerly Literary Society of Bombay) founded in 1804.